In January of 2021, the RM of Springfield announced the creation of Springfield Heritage Housing Inc. (SHHI), a community not-for-profit focused on increasing seniors housing opportunities in the municipality. SHHI is a partnership between the RM of Springfield, Dugald Place Housing Co-op and the Springfield Seniors Non-Profit Housing Co-op (SSHC). This partnership has allowed the newest project, Dugald Place, to come to life.
SHHI’s first project will be to build Dugald Place, the planned assisted living residence located on the same campus as Dugald Estates, a 55+ independent living residence created by the Springfield Seniors Non-Profit Housing Co-operative (SSNHC) which opened in December 2015. The Dugald Place project was chosen as it was so well advanced. This not-for-profit entity allows the municipality to walk along-side the community members involved in the project to help realize the shared vision of assisted living opportunities with the community. The establishment of SHHI ensures long term sustainability and accountability to the community.
Dugald Place is planned to have approximately 50 one- and two-bedroom residences with elevator access. Each residence will be equipped with kitchenettes, individually controlled thermostats, security system, weekly light house keeping, and meal plans. There will be no shortage of things to do at Dugald Place due to the several social amenities it will offer; some of which include a café, planned social activities, hair salon, wellness centre, exercise room, spacious outdoor patio, a large dining area, communal balconies, and 24-hour staffing.
Helping seniors stay connected to the community is a priority for Springfield Heritage Housing Inc. This was taken into strong consideration when designing Dugald Place and the family friendly amenities that accompany it.
For more information on Dugald Place, Click HERE.
For more information on Dugald Estates, Click HERE.
- In January 2020 , the Dugald Place Housing Co-operative was created to continue the vision of Springfield Seniors Housing Co-operative.
- This not-for-profit entity allows for the municipality to walk along-side the community members involved in the project to help realize the shared vision of assisted living opportunities within the community. Further, the establishment of SHHI ensures long term sustainability and accountability to the community.
- The board is comprised of Chair Lesley Thomson, RM of Springfield Mayor Tiffany Fell, Councillor Peter Williams, Councillor Glen Fuhl, Beverly Zarazun (Co-Chair of the previous Dugald Place Housing Co-op), and Randy Williams (Current Chair, Springfield Seniors Housing Co-op).
- Affordability for Springfield residents is a key component of the model. Over the coming year Springfield Heritage Housing will be launching a fundraising campaign for this purpose; all donations will receive a charitable tax receipt from the RM of Springfield.
- The RM of Springfield has engaged Gordon Daman of Red River Group. Gordon has been assisting communities and municipalities throughout the Province with senior housing development over the past two decades. He has assisted communities like Niverville, Carman, Arborg, Boissevain and Dominion City with various not-for-profit based seniors housing projects – with a deep commitment to aging-in-place outcomes.
CLICK HERE to read the Carillon Newspaper Article for Dugald Place
CLICK HERE to read the $41,000 Supports Fundraising Efforts for Dugald Place
CLICK HERE to read Springfield Heritage Housing lands Federal Support (published in The Carillon, Edition 03/04/2021)